I have a tweet pinned to my profile about how I’m getting positive this year. And honestly I think I’ve stuck to that pretty well. But there’s more to being positive than just sharing the blogger love and giving out gifts to the people who absolutely deserve it. Those are parts of it, but it’s not addressing the negative mindset I can find myself with more often than I’d like to admit. So, starting with my mindset before my actions, this is how I’m working on getting rid of that horrible negative mindset.
6 Ways I’m Becoming More Positive
- Start being grateful for what I have, what I accomplish, who I have in my life, and for being me. And to do this I’m going to keep a little list every single day of at least one thing that I’m grateful for or made me happy. Also look out for some posts about what I’m grateful for each month, hopefully I will be able to stick to getting a post up every month or every other month about some things that were really awesome in my life. Focus on the positives, not the negatives.
- Meet every negative thought with a silver lining. I tendto find the negatives in things. I don’t know when this developed, but I do know that it’s causing some significant issues for me now, so I’d like to try to fix it. Whenever I catch myself in a negative thought, I intend to get out of it as soon as possible and find a positive to the situation, no matter how small.
- Not get so worked up when bad things happen. I’m too much of a long-term person to be so stuck in a single bad instant. I think about how in 9 months I’m moving so I need to start getting rid of things right now. So why do I get so absorbed in a single bad moment? Sometimes something happens (that’s almost never a big deal at all) and I get completely fixated on it until it’s over, it’s crazy to me how my mind can get so fixed on a single thing.
- Stop trapping myself in overthinking. This is one thing that has really really gotten to me the past 6 or so months. I find myself replaying things a million times until I begin to regret every word I said, every action I made, the outfit I wore, everything. From now on, whenever I catch myself doing this I’m going to divert my attention to thinking of something that makes me happy. With this one, I’ve found it’s very helpful to talk to a friend about it, so if you find yourself in this situation find someone you trust and let them know. It feels less overwhelming when you’ve told someone.
- Take everything that is not incredibly important very lightly. I can get very worked up about small things that really don’t matter at all. it puts me in a bad mood and I would love to not be in a bad mood. Whenever I feel myself getting worked up, all I have to do is take a deep breath. It’s going to be fine, because really, it’s not that important and sometimes doesn’t even involve me!
- Get some prints with positive mantras and sayings on them to cover my walls with. I think this one actually will have a big impact based on the misplaced saying of what you see is what you get. If what I see is positive, maybe what I get will be too? Also, I’ve been wanting to get some of these for a while to bring some more happiness into my space.
I’m very excited to get on the journey toward being more positive both inside and outwardly as well. I think I will be able to see a significant change in my surroundings once I get my negative mindset under control. Be sure to watch this space if you’re interested in more about my journey toward positivity!