I’ve been majorly lacking in these posts over the past few months and I can honestly see how it has deteriorated my perspective on life. Without taking even a little bit of time to focus on what I’m grateful for, I end up focusing on all the “bad” things in my life right now. November is the perfect time to hop back on this bandwagon with celebrating Thanksgiving.
- Accepting my new normal. I’ll admit I had a really hard time adjusting to college and feeling like I’d “lost” so many people in my life the moment I left for school. After talking to one of my friends she just told me that I had to accept this new normal without a lot of people that I suddenly became to distant from and it lifted such a weight off my shoulders. I no longer felt like I was obliged to keep trying with these people that didn’t fit into my new life.
- I’m back to my painting and coloring. All summer watercoloring was a little refuge for me from stress and anxiety and gave me a place to shut off my brain for literally hours. I could sit there painting from 11am until it started getting dark without a thought about the time or checking my phone. It completely slipped my mind in the first two months of school but as soon as I started putting a lot more effort into pulling out my paints and creating, I’ve felt all the benefits that this brought me all summer.
- Those few key people in my life that make me so happy. I’ve never been one for a huge friend group, I like a small circle where we are all close and a few other friends but since I’m more of a “small group” person I never liked the half-assed friendships of having a huge circle. Throughout high school I began removing the people from my life and stopped putting into the relationships that didn’t make me feel good and were one-sided. Of course this reduced my inner circle but being around the new and improved social circle makes me so happy that it’s worth having less people around.
- Learning to let go. When I take a step back and look at all that’s happened over the last 3 months I am so proud of how I have learned to let so much go, avoiding endless drama and becoming a bigger person because of it. From boy drama to friend problems and all the little feelings of a need for control, I’ve learned to take a deep breath and let so much go.
- Such supportive people in my life. I’m so lucky to have so many awesome aunts and strong women in my life. Becoming closer with all of these amazing women over the past year especially has made me much more empowered as a female and it’s definitely the attitude to have. I bought a little print that says “WOMAN UP” to hang above my desk as a little reminder. It’s so important to empower yourself and other girls and I’ve been doing that a lot more lately and it feels so good.
Hopefully you’ll start seeing more posts on here from me, it’s been a bit of a struggle finding content that I’m excited to write. Happy Thanksgiving and happy holidays to all of you!